Friday 23 August 2013

Purchases from the Newark International Antiques Fair

Today I went to the Newark Antique Fair searching for more components for my build. I managed to obtain the items pictured. The two gauges (one made by Ferranti reading 0-500 volts, the other made by General Electric reading 100-0 Decibels) were both purchased from the same stall for a total of £5. They were in a box of old dirty junk and tools under the stall and the stallholder seemed happy to be rid of them. It just shows it pays to shop around as another stall was selling similar gauges for £11 each and insisting "you won't get Bakelite gauges any cheaper". The small brass piece I believe is a bell push surround, I intend to use this as a surround for my start button. I will insert a modern push-to-make button switch into the hole which should be more reliable than using any of the period doorbell pushes I was looking at, plus it only cost me £1 ! Unfortunately I missed out on purchasing any valves, I am after old radio/amplifier valves for detailing the top of the PC. The only ones I saw at the fair were either part of valve radios or in a high cost job-lot box with far more than I could ever use.

No comments:

Post a Comment